Sunday, October 22, 2006

Swap Tote

I knitted this bag for the International Tote Swap. I bought some 100% lopi type wool that I have used before for felting so that I would be sure that it felted well. I used a Manos del Uruguay pattern. I came up with some fun embellishment for the front which included chain stitching some lengths of wool in different colors then sewing them to the bag. After it was felted, I added beads and buttons and a tiny jewelry piece that says "love".

It is difficult in these swaps when you will be making something for someone else, to not add a bit of your own taste. Much of the time spent is a direct result of something that you like yourself. I don't think I could knit something that I didn't like.

I will be receiving a tote bag made by someone else...I expect it to be more "them" than "me". I think that this is the most interesting and fun part of such an exchange. If someone isn't willing to accept this aspect of the game, they shouldn't play.

So, off this goes to Deborah in Ridgewood, New Jersey, which just happens to be not too far away from a town I spent my highschool years in, West Orange. Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Deborah said...

I think I'm going to faint.....

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Jane said...

Wow - what a great bag! It is definitely an original and I can just imagine the compliments Deborah will receive when she carries this!
P.S. I grew up in Clifton, NJ

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Nickie said...

Hi Jane! We Jersey girls have to stick together...thanks for the nice words. Where are you living now?

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Jane said...

I live in Maine now Nickie, but my sisters and best friend still live in NJ so I still visit. Here is a tutorial on the magic loophttp://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html
Oh- and check out the tote I received today on the Tote Exchange Blog!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Jane said...

Yes, I'm very lucky- Bonnie's tote really is a work of art, as is the one you made. And I will definitely be joining the next tote exchange. Besides the great totes, meeting other people who love to kniw is such fun. We all seem to have so much in common, no matter what our ages or where we live.
Jane
(Grammieknits@yahoo.com)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home