Sunday, September 24, 2006

A Friend in the Garden

I was out watering this morning; picking tomatoes and checking to see if there is any chance for a pumpkin this fall. My DSIL is refinishing the deck so I took the potted plants from the deck and put them in the vegetable garden. This lantana had a visitor and I took a picture. Now this has not been a great year for my garden. The weather was very uncooperative and what wasn't affected by our strange weather was attacked by various creatures...gophers just about got everything but some other creature did manage to get into the garden despite the fencing. Arrrggghhh.

But the plants themselves have been pretty darned bug free and I think it is due in part to these fascinating friends that I have seen many of this summer. I use no chemicals and only good organic fertilizers, but a good balance of life and growing means you have to attract the "good guys".

Thanks to these and other "helpers" who oversee the health of the garden I am once again reminded of the delicate balance nature so beautifully expresses to us. We have only to look...and listen. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger donna said...

Yup, I love organic gardening. Pesticides just aren't really necessary for most gardening, and organic fertilizers and mulches work so much better.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Deborah said...

Pumpkins here in the Northeast east didn't do well at all! We were relying on imports from your part of the world.

Love your garden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home