Sunday, August 13, 2006

Quilting

I am working on this baby quilt for a friend's daughter who had a baby boy in May. I chose some soft blue quilter's quarters and with the white, a yard of a print called "Animal Alphabet" which I loved. this will be the binding as well. A close up photo is just below.

I planned on machine quilting this for time's sake but I don't have any experience machine quilting. Even with all the basting that I did, the fabric shifted while I was trying to quilt the inside of the patterned squares. I had to rip out a lot of work. I went to a local store where I was convinced to buy a "walking foot". Best $20 I've ever spent. The quilting progressed with no problems. I was then stuck not knowing how to quilt the rest of the project. I was rescued by my sister who was here for a visit all the way from New Jersey. She has made some beautiful quilts and has a great sense of design. She suggested doing the quilting on the diagonal. Banner idea! She's the best.
So, now I have only the binding to do and a little bit of embroidery on the back with his name and birth date.

I like these little quilts. I have two more lined up to do...one is a nifty pattern and the other will be one of my own designs. They both will be machine quilted now that I have the right tool!

By the way, the inspiration for this quilt, using a lot of white is from Small Hands. Her quilts are beautiful and I would recommend a visit to her blog. Plus she has some really cute kids. Thanks Soul Sister! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home