Monday, August 07, 2006

Goodies

Here they are, the fair entries that I didn't enter. I sampled each one and fell asleep on the couch. My body is just not used to eating so much sugar. I have packaged them up in seperate boxes to give to neighbors who have helped me with the garden this year. If I keep them in the house, one of us will be tempted.

The top photo is chocolate chip macaroons. These were quite easy, very few ingredients and if you like coconut, they're divine.


The next photo is a plate of Amaretto Crisps.
Great with tea or coffee, these are soft with a crisp edge. They are "refrigerator style" cookies which means that you chill the dough first, roll it out and cut into shape. Also quite easy.








This is a Bourbon Pecan Chew. Chewy and delicious. Made with lots of butter, molasses and bourbon...and pecans. They are a drop cookie and spread in the oven.









This is Raw Apple Bread. I've been making this for years. The recipe is from James Beard's Bread book. I gave my first copy away when I thought I had exhausted its use but later found a used copy because I missed it so much. It remains one of my favorite cook books.


I thought that I would put a list of my favorite cookbooks in this post just in case anyone may be interested. I know that I have found books that other bloggers have listed to add to my collection, whether it's cookbooks, fiction, health, knitting, sewing...a couple of quilting books too. So, here goes.

1. The Self-Healing Cookbook by Kristina Turner (I've learned more about food in this book...my all-time favorite)

2. The Natural Gourmet by Annemarie Colbin (Each delicious recipe is an education...I always turn to this book first when I want to prepare something special)

3. A Taste of Heaven and Earth by Bettina Vitell (Many of the recipes in this book have become staples in my house. Fabulous)

4. Beard on Bread by James Beard (I learned everything I know about making bread from this little book. Great, delicious recipes for all kinds of breads)

5. Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen (I started with this cookbook and go back to it often. I never get tired of it)

6. Crazy Plates by Janet and Greta Podleski (This is such a fun book that I coudn't help putting it on the list. The recipes are lo-fat and I've liked everyone that I have made)

As I look at this list, I am noticing that except for the last book, the others are mainly vegetarian and ALL written by women. A coincidence? Who knows. I have lots of other cookbooks, including a Joy of Cooking, a couple of Andrew Weil cookbooks, a fancy book or two and some others that I occassionally use. I also own both of the Vegetarian Epicure books. But the 6 above I would take with me if the house was burning down. Nuff said. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger CrissyPo said...

I have A Taste of Heaven and Earth at home too. I like the mushroom with couscous recipe. Which recipes are the staples at your place?

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Nickie said...

Hi Chrissy! Her Pesto is my favorite...as is her Bechemal...Buckwheat pancakes (yummy)...the Muffin recipe...Scrambled Tofu...I like her Pastry Dough...Cajun Coleslaw...Ratatouille...Butternut, Sweet Potatoes and Carrot side dish...Whole Wheat Pizza Dough...Black Bean Chili...Spicy Squash Stew...I like all her dressings. You have inspired me to try the mushroom and couscous recipe! Such a great book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home