Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Burning Woman Coat

I created this coat for my DD who is now enjoying the Burning Man event in Nevada. This is her second year so she knows what to wear. She found this fabric On Haight Street in San Francisco and with a bit of engineering, we turned it into a coat. Yes, it gets pretty cold in the high desert at night. Fake fur is all the rage...the wilder the better. This fabric is a very low pile with a fascinating "wiggle" pattern where the nap changes direction to form this pattern. You can just about see it in the photo. I couldn't use a straight easy coat pattern...my DD is a curvy girl so I found a Vogue pattern for a jacket and refashioned it into a coat...with a hood, mind you...no easy feat. We were stuck on what to line it with until DD found some wild tropical rayon I had in the stash. I had to really be careful so that it stretched to fit all the pattern pieces. It is an engineering miracle, when I think about it.

The front just fit at the chest line so I found some ribbon to close it up with. This should keep her warm and show off the artist that she is. It really tested my limits as a seamstress and I will be glad to get back to my small quilts and easy sewing projects. Oh, there are some knitting projects in the works as well. Stay tuned. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger CrissyPo said...

Very cool (and groovy ;)!

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger spaazlicious said...

WoW! That is amazing!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger JuliaR said...

Is DD "dear daughter"? I get confused. :) We always call the designated driver the DD.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Nickie said...

Ha! I never thought about designated driver! Yes, I am refering to my daughter...dear daughter. Who started this initial thing anyway? I assumed that it was for privacy but I have never been quite sure how it was so private!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home