Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Top Story

This pink knit top is the La Fred Thia Tee. I have finished all but the sleeve hems. I have been sewing knits for many years now and have never really learned the right way to sew with them. First of all, I don't own a serger so I have to make due with the stitches that my machine has available. That means a small narrow zigzag for the seams and top stitching. I did get the darts sewn pretty well and this pattern has 6 darts. I like the shaping that they give to it.

But the next one that I make will be with a nicer fabric (this was cheap interlock I purchased at JoAnn's for 50% off) and it will be the smaller size AND I may borrow a serger. I also learned that my machine will not do twin needle stitching...that really bummed me out. So my top stitching is a bit, well, zoinky. The next one I will have to add some interfacing to the hem to make it lay correctly.

I lust learned that the next project for the sew i knit group is TOPS! I'm a bit ahead with this top almost done, but I have others lined up...including the McCalls pattern and fabric below. I fell in love with this fabric the moment I saw it. Since I am not a real honest to goodness quilter (I have attempted a couple...yet to be finished) I look for reasons to buy an occasional yard or two of one of the fabulous quilting fabrics available out there. This one is from Westminster. I thought it had a modern kimono look to it and found this pattern. I love the colors and the fabric has a nice weight to it.

I bought enough for the cap sleeve version but I may go back and get more to make the kimono style in the upper left.

Of course, this means a straight skirt in a complementary knit to go with it!

Ahhh summer...I just got compost delivered so it looks like sewing will have to be put aside for a while so that the gardens can be started. Thank goodness for longer days... Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home