Saturday, March 18, 2006

Summer is for Skirts

This is the skirt I have sewn for the sew? i knit! project. It's Kwik Sew pattern #3286 in my favorite Amy Butler fabric. I didn't have enough of the Amy Butler fabric for the underskirt so I chose a lightweight rayon gauze in my fabric stash. I like the skirt and I think I will wear it a lot in the summer but, if I were to do it over again I would find a fabric and buy enough for both layers. I'm not real fond of how it cuts off...it almost looks like your "slip" is showing...a real "no no" back in the day and I'm old fashioned in a lot of respects.

So, I would say find a fabric that has a nice drape to it and go for it! I have some rayon laying around somewhere that I may use to make another one of these...in a tropical print...yeah baby.

I found a great fabric site online called Hawaiian Fabric that has the most amazing selection of tropical prints that I have ever seen! Plus they have patterns for Hawaiian style "mumus" and other cute patterns. I ordered some fabulous pink tropical fabric and a pattern for summery coveralls with a matching purse that I can't wait to sew up. So, why all the tropical fabric fuss? When we were in San Diego recently, I stopped into a Hilo Hatties store and was inspired by all the beautiful tropical prints in their garments. I decided I had to have me some new summer clothes in these wonderful patterns! Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I think it looks cute with the white layer. It reminds me of something from an earlier century, updated for our modern times.

How interesting that this is the 2nd blog I've been to in the last 5 minutes to be reporting on a completed skirt for that project!

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger *karen said...

Do you know I grew up in Hawaii in HILO and I never entered a Hilo Hattie's? I wish I could show you the Discount Fabric Warehouse on the Big Island of Hawaii. Such a great fabric place.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger judy said...

I do like the skirt. I need some for summer and that looks very comfortable and a bit different. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home